[openstack-dev] [Cinder][Glance] Fixing up Cinder store in Glance

Mike Perez thingee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:09:52 UTC 2015

On 23:04 Jul 02, Tomoki Sekiyama wrote:
> Hi Cinder experts,
>
> Currently Glance has cinder backend but it is broken for a long time.
> I am proposing a glance-spec/patch to fix it by implementing the
> uploading/downloading images to/from cinder volumes.
>
> Glance-spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/183363/
> Glance_store patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/166414/
>
> This will be also useful for sharing volume data among tenants (similar
> use-case with public snapshots proposal discussed at the design summit).
>

> I need a review for them from cinder developers to make it progress.

So I tested out this glance_store patch, along with the Cinder patch [1] and
Glance patch [2] necessary to get things working.

This made us notice that Glance v2 + Cinder does not work [3].

Regardless, I had Patrick East who is working on the Image Caching [4] effort
in Cinder to help copying images faster explain what the difference between the
glance_store and his efforts were [5].

It's not exactly clear from the operator's perspective what the use cases are
for using one or the other. This worries me on duplicated effort, two supported
efforts we have to support once people deploy these different options,
confusion on which to use, etc.

I think we should decide on one approach and just use that one. Thoughts?

[1] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/201754/10
[2] - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/186201/11
[3] - https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1478737
[4] - http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/cinder-specs/specs/liberty/image-volume-cache.html