[openstack-dev] [Neutron][SFC]The proposed "Neutron API extension for packet forwarding" has a lot of duplication to the Neutron SFC API

Sean M. Collins sean at coreitpro.com
Mon Jul 27 20:49:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 12:34:29AM EDT, Paul Carver wrote:
> I would, however, like input on the idea of CLI and API shortcuts. I don't
> think the API proposed in 186663 should be a completely separate
> implementation of creating flow table entries, but I can see the appeal of
> CLI options and perhaps API operations that allow the end user a quick and
> easy way of invoking the degenerate case without going through the
> multi-step, multi-api call execution of the full API.
>
> Is there a precedent for CLI options and/or single API calls that invoke a
> predefined multi-step path through a more comprehensive API? Perhaps the
> "Get me a network" work for example?
>
> It isn't very user friendly to force people to learn and navigate a
> complicated and comprehensive API if all they want to do is one simple and
> very common use case out of a myriad of possible and possibly esoteric
> applications of the full API.

I think when the API is too complex, where python-neutronclient is
expected to create a better UX, that means that the API itself may need
some further thinking and simplification. I think you are right however,
that "Get me a network" is the first case where we've recognized that
the workflow to create a tenant network and have internet connectivity
is quite involved, and that there needs to be some more automation of
the different steps.

My $0.02 is try and see if we can simplify the API to remove these
multi-step, multi-api calls. Fixing it in the CLI only makes it easy for
those that are using that specific CLI, and leaves everyone else out in
the cold.

--
Sean M. Collins