[openstack-dev] [Keystone][Fernet] HA SQL backend for Fernet keys

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jul 27 18:31:34 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Alexander Makarov's message of 2015-07-27 10:01:34 -0700:
> Greetings!
>
> I'd like to discuss pro's and contra's of having Fernet encryption keys
> stored in a database backend.
> The idea itself emerged during discussion about synchronizing rotated keys
> in HA environment.
> Now Fernet keys are stored in the filesystem that has some availability
> issues in unstable cluster.
> OTOH, making SQL highly available is considered easier than that for a
> filesystem.

I don't think HA is the root of the problem here. The problem is
synchronization. If I have 3 keystone servers (n+1), and I rotate keys on
them, I must very carefully restart them all at the exact right time to
make sure one of them doesn't issue a token which will not be validated
on another. This is quite a real possibility because the validation
will not come from the user, but from the service, so it's not like we
can use simple persistence rules. One would need a layer 7 capable load
balancer that can find the token ID and make sure it goes back to the
server that issued it.

A database will at least ensure that it is updated in one place,
atomically, assuming each server issues a query to find the latest
key at every key validation request. That would be a very cheap query,
but not free. A cache would be fine, with the cache being invalidated
on any failed validation, but then that opens the service up to DoS'ing
the database simply by throwing tons of invalid tokens at it.

So an alternative approach is to try to reload the filesystem based key
repository whenever a validation fails. This is quite a bit cheaper than a
SQL query, so the DoS would have to be a full-capacity DoS (overwhelming
all the nodes, not just the database) which you can never prevent. And
with that, you can simply sync out new keys at will, and restart just
one of the keystones, whenever you are confident the whole repository is
synchronized. This is also quite a bit simpler, as one basically needs
only to add a single piece of code that issues load_keys and retries
inside validation.