[openstack-dev] [nova] Create a network filter

Silvia Fichera fichera.sil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 11:03:29 UTC 2015

Hi Sahid.
Thank you for your answer.
What I want to do is to check if the link that connects the compute node
with the switch is up and than collect information about the available BW
using OpenFlow's API. This is because I want information related to the
real physical network.That's why I want to use ODL.
So there is a way using monitors to check if a physical link is up?

Silvia

sahid.ferdjaoui at redhat.com>:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 04:44:01PM +0200, Silvia Fichera wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm using OpenStack together with OpenDaylight to add a network awareness
> > feature to the scheduler.
> > I have 3 compute nodes (one of these is also the Openstack Controller)
> > connected by a openvswitch controlled by OpenDaylight.
> > What I would like to do is to write a filter to check if a link is up and
> > then assign weight acconding to the available bw (I think I will collect
> > this data by ODL and update an entry in a db).
>
> So you would like to check if a link is up in compute nodes and order
> compute nodes by BW, right ? I do not think you can use OpenDaylight
> for something like that that will be too specific.
>
> One solution could be to create a new monitor, they run on compute
> nodes and are used to collect any kind of data.
>
>   nova/compute/monitors
>
> Then you may want to create a new "weight" to order hosts eligible by
> data you have collected from the monitor.
>
>   nova/scheduler/weights
>
> > For each host I have a management interface (eth0) and an interface
> > connected to the OVS switch to build the physical network (eth1).
> > Have you got any suggestion to check the link status?
> > I thought I can be inspired by the second script in this link
> >
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17434079/python-check-to-see-if-host-is-connected-to-network
> > to verify if the iface is up and then check the connectivity but It has
> > be run in the compute node and I don't know which IP address I could
> point
> > at.
> >

> > Thank you
> >
> > --