[openstack-dev] OPENSTACK with CEPH storage backend cant down size an instance

Joshua Harlow harlowja at outlook.com
Mon Jul 27 01:17:20 UTC 2015

Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 07/24/2015 12:47 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
>> Excerpts from James Galvin's message of 2015-07-24 09:08:36 -0700:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I am having some trouble with down sizing an instance,
>>>
>>> I can resize the instance from say small flavour to medium flavour but when trying to resize the instance back from medium to small
>>>
>>> I get the following :
>>>
>>> Error: Failed to perform requested operation on instance "jg-10", the instance has an error status: Please try again later [Error: Flavor's disk is too small for requested image.].
>>>
>>> I am using ceph as the storage backend clustered over 3 nodes with 3 pools "volumes" "vms" "images"
>>>
>> In addition to the note already made about reducing filesystem sizes,
>> I just want to reaffirm that resize is really not the way you want to
>> be using clouds, and IMO should be removed from Nova (but there's enough
>> people who disagree with me that it will probably stay).
>>
>> Anyway, I suggest never using resize, and just deploying new servers,
>> running tests, and then deleting the old ones. Having cloud with
>> flexibility and space for this is why you have a cloud.
>
> As a person who runs a system with both long-lived pets and cattle that
> we grind in to food, I can attest that we do not use resize. It is a
> much longer downtime/risk operation than you want.

+1

I don't believe yahoo enables it either (but I'll double check tomorrow)
because it's honestly confusing and rife with potential issues
(especially when resize turns into a live migrate that involves the
scheduler and scheduler retries).

Resizing down is also questionable imho, because afaik it involves
shrinking off disks, which means disk shrinkage that is really hard to
get right without user input.

Probably better to just snapshot and redeploy, or deploy fresh servers
and use chef/puppet... to reinstall your application/server from known
build instructions/other.