[openstack-dev] [fuel][puppet] Module Sync for Murano and Sahara

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 00:40:15 UTC 2015

Denis,

Now that I have better understanding of the history of the commit, I
understand that this was the best way through. The Sahara and Murano team's
effort was invaluable in getting these fixed up and in a good state. I
apologize that I have raised this as an issue. I was very concerned with
the commits before knowing theses details, It was necessary to get the
clarification.

Let me clarify what I understand now was going on with them.

Sahara.
A )Fuel had a number of better parts of the fork. there where two commits
[1][2] proposed to puppet-sahara from Fuel that where not merged that
reflected the better side of Fuel's fork.
B) The Sahara sync commit [3] into fuel represented upstream puppet-sahara
C) The Adapt commit [4] contained the two commits listed prior in A, kilo
support, stuff we needed to ensure it worked in fuel and Noop tests.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/198744/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/192721/
[3] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/202045
[4] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/202195/

Murano
D) Fuel has effectively the only usable Murano module
E) The Adapt commit [5] represented
* a major over hall of the code quality to make it suitable to propose
upstream
* fixes necessary to support kilo
* cleanup for modular
* Noop tests

[5] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/203731/

With the improved clarity of what was going on, it made it much easier
understand what I was reviewing and I'm glad of the current state.

Here are my thoughts on what we can do better next time:
* The commit and CR messages where not sufficient to understand entirely
what was going on with the commits and how it was tested.
* Separate out some of the changes into a commit chain to reduce the scope
of each CR so that its easier to review.
* For large reviews like this, we should let more reviewers know whats
going on the ML early. These showed up on my radar late and of course, I
freaked out.

Andrew Woodward

Mirantis

Fuel Community Ambassador