[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config options in nova

Kevin L. Mitchell kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com
Thu Jul 23 18:04:32 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-07-23 at 11:41 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 11:23 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > FWIW, this is exactly what we have in oslo libs, e.g. in oslo.db [0]
> >
> > Putting all Nova options into one big file is probably not a good
> > idea, still we could consider storing those per-package (per backend,
> > per driver, etc), rather than per Python module to reduce the number
> > of possible circular imports when using import_opt() helper.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roman
> >
> > [0] https://github.com/openstack/oslo.db/blob/master/oslo_db/options.py
>
> Actually, we just happened to be discussing this at the Nova meetup this
> morning. And the general consensus was the opposite. It would be better
> to collect all the config options in one file, especially if we are
> going to expand the help (which we would like to do). Exceptions are
> done that way in Nova.
>
> Michael Still is going to propose some initial patches to get this
> rolling. We don't expect this to be a big bang, but in chunks as the
> help is being improved.

I'm concerned because of how big the single configuration file will
become.  It is a true pain in the butt to review anything that touches
the db API (or tests) because of how huge that one file is (traditional
view in Gerrit performs like a dog on large files), and I'm worried that
the same will become true of a single nova/flags.py if we go that route.
I do like Roman's idea of centralizing them into a smattering of files,
though.  What if we were to create a new top-level package and split the
config options up into a small number of individual files there?  Would
that be a reasonable compromise between Roman's suggestion and the
one-file-of-config route?
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <kevin.mitchell at rackspace.com>
Rackspace