[openstack-dev] [openstack][nova] Streamlining of config options in nova

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jul 23 16:41:53 UTC 2015

On 07/23/2015 11:23 AM, Roman Podoliaka wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> FWIW, this is exactly what we have in oslo libs, e.g. in oslo.db [0]
>
> Putting all Nova options into one big file is probably not a good
> idea, still we could consider storing those per-package (per backend,
> per driver, etc), rather than per Python module to reduce the number
> of possible circular imports when using import_opt() helper.
>
> Thanks,
> Roman
>
> [0] https://github.com/openstack/oslo.db/blob/master/oslo_db/options.py

Actually, we just happened to be discussing this at the Nova meetup this
morning. And the general consensus was the opposite. It would be better
to collect all the config options in one file, especially if we are
going to expand the help (which we would like to do). Exceptions are
done that way in Nova.

Michael Still is going to propose some initial patches to get this
rolling. We don't expect this to be a big bang, but in chunks as the
help is being improved.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague