[openstack-dev] [Neutron][L3] Representing a networks connected by routers

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Thu Jul 23 15:42:52 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue with the availability zone solution is that we now force
> availability zones in Nova to be constrained to network configuration. In
> the L3 ToR/no overlay configuration, this means every rack is its own
> availability zone. This is pretty annoying for users to deal with because
> they have to choose from potentially hundreds of availability zones and it
> rules out making AZs based on other things (e.g.  current phase, cooling
> systems, etc).
>
> I may be misunderstanding and you could be suggesting to not expose this
> availability zone to the end user and only make it available to the
> scheduler. However, this defeats one of the purposes of availability zones
> which is to let users select different AZs to spread their instances across
> failure domains.

I was actually talking with some guys at dinner during the Nova
mid-cycle last night (Andrew ??, Robert Collins, Dan Smith, probably
others I can't remember) about the relationship of these network
segments to AZs and cells.  I think we were all in agreement that we
can't confine segments to AZs or cells nor the other way around.

Carl