[openstack-dev] [openstacl-dev][openstack-tc][deb-packaging] Updated proposal for OpenStack deb packages

Igor Yozhikov iyozhikov at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 22 13:32:36 UTC 2015

Hello again to everyone.

*Introductory words:*
 I want to present renewed proposal for packaging of OpenStack components
for deb based Linux distributions.
In case of stackforge retirement, I believe that new repositories for deb
specs should appears under the */openstack/* name-space instead of
*/stackforge/*.
This and further steps was also advised by dhellmann, anteaya and angdraug
at #openstack-meeting irc channel during/after TechnicalCommittee meeting
<http://paste.openstack.org/show/399927/> yesterday 21 of Jul 2015.
Also it would be great to discuss all of this during next TC meeting July
28th.
Link on previous letter
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-July/069377.html>

*Renewed proposal:*
 During the Liberty summit in Vancouver, the idea to maintain OpenStack
packages for Debian and Ubuntu on upstream infra sparked. As part of the
OpenStack and Debian community we still want to push for it. In case of
stackforge retirement it will be awesome to be able to work directly under
the /*openstack*/ name-space. Mostly, it is server packages for Debian
which we want to see maintained there. All of the dependencies (including
Oslo libraries and python-*client) will continue to be maintained using
git.debian.org, as a shared effort between Debian and Ubuntu.

Purpose:

   -

   One centralized place at github.com*/openstack/* to maintain package
   build manifests/specs for main OpenStack projects.
   -

   /*openstack*/*  already has gerrit where could be attached additional
   gates for building and testing OpenStack packages for deb based Linux
   distributions.
   -

   All changes related to the ways of how one or another OpenStack project
   should be installed would be represented or proposed to one place. So not
   only famous package maintainers can work on build manifests for packages,
   but also the entire community interested in packaging of OpenStack
   projects. Also this place could become as main base for packages for all
   deb based Linux distributions like Debian and Ubuntu.
   -

   Package build manifests could be reviewed or adjusted not only by
   package maintainers, but also by python developers, that are writing
   OpenStack code and that's could be very valuable due to possible changes in
   configuration, paths and so on.

Projects list:

Here I propose list of OpenStack projects, it consists of about 25 of
projects which of course would be changed with time due to possible birth
of new projects .

Project name

Possible github.com/openstack repository

ceilometer

http://github.com/openstack/deb-ceilometer

ceilometermiddleware

http://github.com/openstack/deb-ceilometermiddleware