[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Question about unique default hostname for node

Andrew Woodward awoodward at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 21 20:10:35 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:38 AM Fedor Zhadaev <fzhadaev at mirantis.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The next issue was found during implementation
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/node-naming :
>
>   User may change node hostname to any another, including default-like
> 'node-{№}', where № may be bigger than maximum nodeID existing at that
> moment.
>   Later when node with ID == № will be created it's default name
> 'node-{ID}' will break hostnames uniqueness.
>
> To avoid this now it was decided to generate in such situation another
> default hostname.
>
> The current solution is to generate hostname '*node-{UUID}*'. It works,
> but may look terribly.
>
> There are a few another possible solutions:
>
>    - Use '*node-{ID}-{#}*' format, where *{#} *we'll chose in loop till
>    the first unique.
>    - Use some unique value, shorter than UUID (for example - number of
>    microseconds from current timestamp)
>
> I think the only solution here is to a) ensure that every hostname is
unique or refuse to update the value b)In cases that the user wants to use
our format, the only allowed format is node-{ID} where ID must be equal to
this nodes ID. we don't need to come up with some scheme to rescue the
format. We do however need some value/method that will make it reset back
to the default.

> Please share you opinion - what is better?
>
> Also you can propose your own solutions.
>
> --
> Kind Regards,
> Fedor Zhadaev
> Junior Software Engineer, Mirantis Inc.