[openstack-dev] [fuel][puppet] The state of collaboration: 5 weeks

Dmitry Borodaenko dborodaenko at mirantis.com
Tue Jul 21 06:17:33 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 12:24:13PM -0600, Matt Fischer wrote:
>Dmitry and I chatted some this morning and I'd at least like to address
>those issues so that we can resolve them and move on to the other
>discussions. I am not speaking for Emilien here, just jumping in as a core
>and trying to help resolve some of this.
>
>As Emilien notes, many of us do not work full-time on puppet code, so
>sometimes reviews can slip. IRC messages can also be missed especially
>during summer months with many of us on vacations. For that reason, Dmitry
>and the Fuel team will be bringing reviews to the weekly meeting to call
>out ones that need or are overdue for attention. I believe that missed,
>overlooked, ignored, or forgotten reviews are not a new issue for an
>OpenStack project, but hopefully this solution will work to improve
>throughput. This solution applies to anyone who is possibly not getting
>enough attention on the review.
>
>Our review dashboard is here: https://goo.gl/bSYJt8

After looking carefully at this dashboard's definition, I think I've
figured out what happened to https://review.openstack.org/190548 -- the
dashboard's foreach statement excludes all reviews with a -2 code review
vote, so once that review received a -2 from Emilien, it would no longer
show up in anyone's inbox, including Emilien's.

To mitigate that, I've proposed a change for the dashboard that adds a
"Disagreement" section including reviews with both positive and negative
votes:

https://review.openstack.org/203903

The rationale is that if, despite someone voting a patch set (or
the whole review) down, other reviewers did not revoke (or kept adding)
positive votes, further discussion of that commit is needed. It would
still be possible to exclude a commit from all sections of the
dashboard, if necessary (e.g. author is MIA) by abandoning it.

Reviewing that list once a week might be a good way to put stuck reviews
on the meeting's agenda, and would benefit all contributors, not only
Fuel developers.

Thoughts?

--
Dmitry Borodaenko