[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal for an Experiment

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Jul 20 22:41:11 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Joshua Harlow's message of 2015-07-20 14:57:48 -0700:
> I have a feeling that we really need to make whatever this selection
> process has clearly defined API boundaries, so that various
> 'implementation experiments' can be used (and researched on).
>
> Those API boundaries will be what scheduling entities must provide but
> the implementations could be many things. I have feeling that this is
> really an on-going area of research and no solution will likely be
> optimal 'yet' (maybe someday...).
>
> Without even defined API boundaries I start to wonder if this whole
> exploring will end up just burning out people (when said people find a
> possible solution but the code won't be accepted due to lack of API
> boundaries in the first place); I believe gantt was trying to fix this
> (but I'm not sure of the status of that)?

Yes, right now it's just too tightly wound into Nova to experiment
without doing major surgery. If one can simply make the scheduler go
faster, without having to change everything else around it, we get
something that is easier to test, and easier for deployers to migrate
to.