[openstack-dev] [neutron] 'routed' network type, DHCP agent + devstack support - review requested

Ian Wells ijw.ubuntu at cack.org.uk
Mon Jul 20 17:47:37 UTC 2015

On 20 July 2015 at 10:21, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On 20/07/15 18:00, Ian Wells wrote:
>
>> On 19 July 2015 at 03:46, Neil Jerram <Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com
>> <mailto:Neil.Jerram at metaswitch.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     The change at [1] creates and describes a new 'routed' value for
>>     provider:network_type.  It means that a compute host handles data
>>     to/from the relevant TAP interfaces by routing it, and specifically
>>     that those TAP interfaces are not bridged.
>>

>> To clarify that, the user uses provider:network_type in the API to
>> request a 'routed' network be created, and the Neutron plugin either
>> implements that or rejects the create call?  Or something else?
>>

> Yes, I believe so.  Could it be otherwise?

We can make it work any way you like if you'we willing to spend the rest of
your life writing it. ;)

It depends rather on how you picture this working.

As described you've made it so that networks would be routed if the admin
created them and specifically flagged them as routed, which useful for
testing, or if the mechdriver is the default, which is probably the most
useful way in production.

I think the thing that we'll be missing long term is a means to explicitly
request an L2 domain - as that's the special case that you might explicitly
want, the general case is 'with IP addresses my VMs can talk to each other'
- and that would require more than Neutron currently provides and would
require work.