[openstack-dev] [puppet] puppet-designate POC implementation of virtualenv and docker support.

Clayton O'Neill clayton at oneill.net
Mon Jul 20 14:18:04 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Mike Dorman <mdorman at godaddy.com> wrote:

>   I have been meaning to ask you about this, so thanks for posting.
>
>  I like the approach.  Definitely a lot cleaner than the somewhat
> hardcoded dependencies and subscriptions that are in the modules now.
>
>  Do you envision that long term the docker/venv/whatever else
> implementation (like you have in designate_ext) would actually be part of
> the upstream Puppet module?  Or would we provide the hooks that you
> describe, and leave it up to other modules to handle the non-package-based
> installs?

I think it may make sense to integrate them long term.  Right now I think
that it's hard to do virtualenv or docker support for the Puppet modules
that's not fairly biased towards a specific implementation or set of
requirements.  In the short term I'd like to see the Designate hook patch
get merged and we'll start working on similar patches for other modules if
everyone agrees that's a reasonable approach.  Right now projects like
Designate, Keystone, Heat are obvious candidates since they're simpler from
a deployment standpoint.

Over time I suspect we'll develop a better idea of what best practices are
in this area and we could consider having a single module that adds docker
or virtualenv support to the existing modules, and long term perhaps merge
that support into the existing modules.