[openstack-dev] [nova] Exposing provider networks in network_data.json

Jim Rollenhagen jim at jimrollenhagen.com
Sun Jul 19 18:26:32 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 08:39:23PM +0800, Sam Stoelinga wrote:
> +1 on Kevin Benton's comments.
> Ironic should have integration with switches where the switches are SDN
> compatible. The individual bare metal node should not care which vlan,
> vxlan or other translation is programmed at the switch. The individual bare
> metal nodes just knows I have 2 nics and and these are on Neutron network
> x. The SDN controller is responsible for making sure the baremetal node
> only has access to Neutron Network x through changing the switch
> configuration dynamically.
>
> Making an individual baremetal have access to several vlans and let the
> baremetal node configure a vlan tag at the baremetal node itself is a big
> security risk and should not be supported. Unless an operator specifically
> configures a baremetal node to be vlan trunk.

Right, trunking is the main use case here, and I think we should support
it. :)

To be clear, I'm not advocating that we always send the VLAN to the
instance. I agree that this patch isn't the right way to do it. But I
do think we need to consider that there are cases where we do need to
expose the VLAN, and we should support this.

For a little background, this patch came from code that is running in
production today, where we're trunking two VLANs down to the host -- it
isn't a theoretical use case.

// jim