[openstack-dev] [all] Non-responsive upstream libraries (python34 specifically)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Jul 16 20:28:40 UTC 2015

On 07/16/2015 05:19 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Davanum Srinivas (dims)'s message of 2015-07-16 11:00:33 -0400:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I ended up here:
>> https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/issues/54
>> https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/pull/67
>>
>> while chasing a keystone py34 CI problem since memcached is running in
>> our CI VM:
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/177661/
>>
>> and got word from @zigo that this library and several other libraries
>> have a long lag time for  (or never respond!)
>>
>> What do we do in these situations?
>
> If we identify projects like this, I think it makes sense for us to
> start looking into alternatives and porting over to more actively
> maintained libraries.
>
> Doug

I have sent bugs against cinder, nova, and oslo.vmware because they use
Suds, which is unmaintained upstream, and which we would like to get out
of Debian (at least for the next release: Stretch). And no, suds-jurko
isn't better, it as well is unmaintained upstream.

IMO, we should, for the Liberty release, get rid of:
- suds & suds-jurko
- memcached (in the favor of pymemcache)
- mysqldb (this has been discussed at large already)
- cliff-tablib and tablib (not ported to Py3, used only for testing)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)