[openstack-dev] [nova] schedule instance based on CPU frequency ?

Dugger, Donald D donald.d.dugger at intel.com
Wed Jul 15 22:57:42 UTC 2015

In re: Static CPU frequency.  For modern Intel CPUs this really isn't true.  Turbo Boost is a feature that allows certain CPUs in certain conditions to actually run at a higher clock rate that what is advertised at power on (the havoc this causes code that depends upon timing based upon CPU spin loops is left as an exercise for the reader :-)  Likewise, SpeedStep technology allows the kernel to slow down the clock by asking for different P-states, trading off lower performance for lower power drain by lowering the clock speed.  Admittedly, SpeedStep is more used on laptops to conserve battery life, not a major segment for OpenStack, but it just goes to show that the CPU frequency is technically not a constant.

Having said that, I think CPU frequency is a really bad metric to be making any kind of scheduling decisions on.  A Core I7 running at 2 GHz is going to potentially run code faster than a Core I3 running at 2.2 GHz (issues of micro-architecture and cache sizes impact performance much more than minor variations in clock speed).  If you really want to schedule based upon CPU capability you need to define an abstract metric, identify how many of these abstract units apply to the specific compute nodes in your cloud and do scheduling based upon that.  There is actually work going to do just this, check out the BP:

	https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/normalized-compute-units

--
Don Dugger