[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal for an Experiment

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jul 15 19:58:00 UTC 2015

On 16 July 2015 at 07:27, Ed Leafe <ed at leafe.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 2015, at 1:08 PM, Maish Saidel-Keesing <maishsk at maishsk.com> wrote:
>
>>> * Consider the cost of introducing a brand new technology into the
>>> deployer space. If there _is_ a way to get the desired improvement with,
>>> say, just MySQL and some clever sharding, then that might be a smaller
>>> pill to swallow for deployers.
>> +1000 to this part regarding introducing a new technology
>
> Yes, of course it has been considered. If it were trivial, I would just propose a blueprint.
>
> Again, I'd really like to hear ideas on what kind of results would be convincing enough to make it worthwhile to introduce a new technology.

We spent some summit time discussing just this:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/TechnologyChoices

The summary here is IMO:
 - ops will follow where we lead BUT
 - we need to take their needs into account
 - which includes robustness, operability, and so on
 - things where an alternative implementation exists can be
uptake-driven : e.g. we expand the choices, and observe what folk move
onto.

That said, I think the fundamental thing today is that we have a bug
and its not fixed. LOTS of them. Where fixing them needs better
plumbing, lets be bold - but not hasty.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>