[openstack-dev] [tc][all] Tags, explain like I am five?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:33:24 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com>
wrote:

> So I've been following the TC work on tags, and have been slightly
> confused by the whole work, so I am wondering if I can get a
> 'explainlikeimfive' (borrowing from reddit terminology) edition of it.
>
> I always thought tags were going to be something like:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/rcAnMkX.png
>
> (I'm not a graphic artist, obviously, haha); but the point there was that
> it would allow people to create tags, up or down vote them, and maybe even
> add comments and let the democratic process (the community) decide which
> tags are useful and which aren't (possibly prune tags that are garbage or
> are not useful).
>
> Or something like:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/gy1MGo6.png
>
> That could perhaps use https://wordpress.org/plugins/fl3r-feelbox/ (or
> something like it, doesn't matter)...
>
> I was thinking the whole tag creation, up-vote, down-vote, smiley,
> sad-face, was all going to be community driven, instead of TC driven, but
> maybe someone can explain it to me (like I am five).
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Josh

​Hi Josh,

So regardless of the detail that was agreed upon when we proposed the tag
idea, I personally find your interpretation to make a lot of sense.  I
think it would be a great direction to go with the tags (and personally I
prefer the faces/graphic version).

I think the trick will still be figuring out what tags are defined/used.  I
don't think we should have just "any tag" added/used, but of course anybody
from the community should be able to submit/propose a tag.​

I personally (both as a community member and TC member) would love to see
more of this moving out to the community as a whole rather than being
something defined and set up within the TC.

Note that one thing the TC has been trying to focus on here is subjective
measurement of the tags that are created, what you're suggesting is a bit
different from that, but personally I like it and think that in a number of
cases it could be very valuable.

Thanks,
John