[openstack-dev] [all][ptl][release] New library release request process

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Wed Jul 15 15:59:10 UTC 2015

PTLs and release liaisons,

We are ready to take the next step in implementing the new library
release process, and start using gerrit for release request reviews.

The new repository openstack/releases is set up with back-history for
all of our current releases. There are full instructions in the REAMDE
in the repository [1], but I will explain the basics here.

We're tracking all managed library releases using one YAML file per
release series (kilo, liberty, etc.) and "deliverable" (for non-library
projects a deliverable may include more than one repository). To request
a new release, you edit the existing file to add the version, sha, etc.
The release team will look at the version number and consider the timing
of the release, and provide feedback on the review, just like we've been
doing on IRC or via email for the past couple of weeks as releases were
requested. The full release tagging is not yet automated, so when the
release is approved, we'll run the tool manually for now. You'll find
more details about the automation in the infra spec [2].

We should start using this new process for all release requests, from
this point on. That will let us maintain a complete history, which we
are eventually going to use to build a site showing which releases are
part of each series to help downstream consumers of each project.

As usual, stop by #openstack-relmgr-office or email the list if you have
questions.

Thanks,
Doug

[1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/releases/tree/README.rst