[openstack-dev] [Openstack][nova] proxy quota/limits info from neutron

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 14 21:14:17 UTC 2015

On 7/14/2015 3:43 PM, Cale Rath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I created a patch to fail on the proxy call to Neutron for used limits,
> found here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/199604/
>
> This patch was done because of this:
> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/nova/project_scope.html?highlight=proxy#no-more-api-proxies,
> where it’s stated that Nova shouldn’t be proxying API calls.
>
> That said, Matt Riedemann brings up the point that this breaks the case
> where Neutron is installed and we want to be more graceful, rather than
> just raising an exception.  Here are some options:
>
> 1. fail - (the code in the patch above)
> 2. proxy to neutron for floating ips and security groups - that's what
> the original change was doing back in havana
> 3. return -1 or something for floatingips/security groups to indicate
> that we don't know, you have to get those from neutron
>
> Does anybody have an opinion on which option we should do regarding API
> proxies in this case?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cale Rath

I prefer the proxy option, despite that we don't want to do more proxies
to other services, it's the least of all evils here in my opinion.

I don't think we can do #1, that breaks anyone using those APIs and is
using Neutron, so it's a non-starter.

#3 is an API change in semantics which would at least be a microversion
and is kind of clunky.

For #2 we at least have the nova.network.base_api which we didn't have
in Havana when I was originally working on this, that would abstract the
neutron-specific cruft out of the nova-api code.  The calls to neutron
were pretty simple from what I remember - we could just resurrect the
old patch:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/43822/

Another option is #4, we mark the bug as won't fix and we log a warning
if neutron is configured saying some of the resources aren't going to be
correct, use the neutron API to get information for quotas on security
groups, floating IPs, etc.  That's also kind of gross IMO, but it's an
option.

Matt Riedemann