[openstack-dev] [Openstack] Rescinding the M name decision

Lauren Sell lauren at openstack.org
Tue Jul 14 18:53:19 UTC 2015

Good news. After finalizing the trademark checks and giving the community time to weigh in, Mitaka will be the name of the M release. 

Thanks again for the great discussion around this topic, and for the willingness to be responsive to the concerns of fellow community members.

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 2:18 PM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:
> Feel free to give input on the Mitaka proposal.
> Tim
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jonathan Bryce [mailto:jbryce at jbryce.com]
>> Sent: 09 July 2015 20:52
>> To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
>> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Openstack] Rescinding the M name decision
>>> On Jul 9, 2015, at 9:35 AM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> On 07/09/2015 09:19 AM, Neil Jerram wrote:
>>>> In the hope of forestalling an unnecessary sub-thread...
>>>> Mita was #1 in the vote, so has presumably already been ruled out by
>>>> OpenStack's legal review.
>>> That is correct.
>> Hi everyone,
>> I’ve really loved seeing everyone’s understanding and engagement on this
>> thread as we worked through the release cycle naming for ‘M’. This was the
>> first attempt to follow a new process, so not surprisingly, we found some
>> improvements in the algorithm for the future. Still it’s awesome to see how
>> constructive and positive the whole conversation has been.
>> I wanted to provide a quick update on the status of the Foundation’s
>> reviews of the names. First, as Russell mentioned above, after the voting
>> was completed, we asked our trademark counsel to do checks on the top 3
>> names. The first two both had significant trademark issues with existing
>> trademark holders in the same space that would have prevented us from
>> using the names in most jurisdictions where we have our largest
>> communities (US, Europe and Asia). The 3rd choice was relatively low risk
>> and so we passed word back to Monty who announced it. Once we realized
>> there were other issues with Meiji, we asked for an expedited check of the
>> next 3 names: Mitaka, Musashi, and Meguro. The preliminary check shows
>> that Mitaka and Meguro both present an acceptable level of risk, while
>> Musashi is higher on the risk scale and would probably create problems for
>> usage.
>> At this time, we’re going to do a deeper check on Mitaka, which was the #4
>> candidate in voting and would be next in line after Meiji. I know Itoh-san
>> mentioned the Mitaka locale has the potential to be associated with certain
>> corporations in Japan, but my personal feeling is that may not be significant
>> enough to override it’s position in the voting and it’s availability for use.
>> I’d encourage anyone with other concerns about Mitaka to post those
>> within the next 24 hours so we can appropriately consider and discuss
>> them. We should have results on the deeper trademark check by next week
>> as well and can hopefully settle on a final name.
>> Thanks again for all the discussion and participation and especially to
>> Monty who’s been on the front lines of helping us navigate this. Feel free to
>> let me know if you have any other questions,
>> Jonathan
>> 210-317-2438
>> __________________________________________________________
>> ________________
>> OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
>> Unsubscribe: OpenStack-dev-
>> request at lists.openstack.org?subject:unsubscribe
>> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev
> __________________________________________________________________________
> OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
> Unsubscribe: OpenStack-dev-request at lists.openstack.org?subject:unsubscribe
> http://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstack-dev

More information about the OpenStack-dev mailing list