[openstack-dev] [requirements] why merging 2.6 requirements for non 2.6 supporting projects

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Jul 14 12:38:57 UTC 2015

On 07/14/2015 08:32 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-07-14 07:03:34 -0400 (-0400), Sean Dague wrote:
>> I just saw this Nova review come in -
>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/200908
>>
>> Why are we merging 2.6 requirements for projects that don't support 2.6?
>> That seems potentially confusing to end users that now think the project
>> does, because there are still references in the code.
>
> We could likely consider treating 2.6+2.7-supporting vs 2.7-only
> (and 2.7+3.4-supporting? and 2.6+2.7+3.4?) repos differently where
> requirements sync and enforcement are concerned, but a first step
> for that would involve coming up with and maintaining a list of
> which repos have support on which branches for which Python
> versions. We don't have such a thing today as far as I'm aware, as
> it's merely an emergent property based on a combination of factors
> in zuul's layout file (the names of 2.6-based jobs, which repos run
> them, and the branches on which they're allowed to run).

There is trove classification in the projects themselves right?

[metadata]
name = nova
version = 12.0.0
summary = Cloud computing fabric controller
description-file =
    README.rst
author = OpenStack
author-email = openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
home-page = http://www.openstack.org/
classifier =
    Environment :: OpenStack
    Intended Audience :: Information Technology
    Intended Audience :: System Administrators
    License :: OSI Approved :: Apache Software License
    Operating System :: POSIX :: Linux
    Programming Language :: Python
    Programming Language :: Python :: 2
    Programming Language :: Python :: 2.7

That seems like it should be enough information to know the 2.6 question.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net