[openstack-dev] [all] Time to remove Python2.6 jobs from master

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 08:33:18 UTC 2015

On 07/14/2015 01:46 AM, Perry, Sean wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Doug Hellmann
>> [mailto:doug at doughellmann.com] Sent: Monday, July 13, 2015 3:41
>> PM To: openstack-dev Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [all] Time to
>> remove Python2.6 jobs from master
>>
>> Excerpts from Robert Collins's message of 2015-07-14 09:05:43
>> +1200:

>>> Additional detail: - generating 2.6 pins for global
>>> requirements requires access to 2.6 where the periodic job runs
>>> *and where devs are generating updates*. - so that means docker
>>> or lxc or something in both the CI system and widely available
>>> for devs.
>>>
>>> So its a non-trivial impact; we can do it to move things
>>> forward, but it would be a lot cheaper not to.
>>
>> I don't *want* to keep 2.6 support around, and I do understand
>> that the requirements work will be made easier.  I'm just trying
>> to understand what other impact dropping it will have.
>>

> It will break RHEL 5 (maybe early 6 too) and older RH systems.
> Ubuntu older than 9 I think (which is beyond unsupported). Not sure
> about other Linux dists.
>
> Basically if RHEL 5 is no longer a valid target and we are sure all
> of the 6s have updated then let's nuke it from orbit.

I don't believe there was any release of RHEL-OSP that targeted RHEL
5. As for RHEL 6, the last version that got support for it was OSP5
which is based on Icehouse.

Speaking of RDO, there were attempts to get nova pieces of Juno
backported to RHEL 6 (mostly for CERN). Other than that, I don't think
anyone considers to run anything Kilo+ on RHEL 6, and it will probably
fail to work properly since a lot of underlying platform components in
RHEL 6 would be not ready for new features. (RHEL-OSP could
potentially get all the needed pieces in place, but there was a
decision not to go this route and instead require RHEL 7 for anything
Juno+).

Ihar