[openstack-dev] [all] Setting epoch in setup.cfg??

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Mon Jul 13 20:09:12 UTC 2015

On 13 Jul 2015 8:52 pm, "Ian Cordasco" <ian.cordasco at rackspace.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/15, 03:38, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
<SNIP>
> >By "counter-productive", I meant: likely to generate more confusion than
> >clarity. If you provide an epoch in the version and it doesn't match
> >downstream packagers ones, it's hard to rely on it.
>
> I see what you mean now. The thing is that for Debian/Fedora the epoch
> syntax is different from PEP 440
>
> For them it's
>
> [distro-epoch]:[upstream-version][otherstuff]
>
> PEP 440 epochs are separated by a !, so let's say $(distro) has an epoch
> value of "1" and we choose "2", for glance the version would look ugly but
> would be:
>
> 1:2!11.0.0

<SNIP>

This would be a problem for at least Ubuntu and Debian as the version
string is specifically not allowed to contain a '!'.

"The upstream_version may contain only alphanumerics and the
characters . +- : ~ (full stop, plus, hyphen, colon, tilde) and should
start with a digit." [0]

Therefore, these distro's would need to increment the distro epoch if the
upstream version (without the upstream epoch) is lower than the version
currently in their archives.

I am not sure how rpm based distro's handle '!' in the upstream version.

[0]
https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

--
Kind Regards,