[openstack-dev] [testing] moving testrepository *outside* the tox venv

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Sun Jul 12 18:19:06 UTC 2015

On 7/11/15 6:04 AM, Robert Collins wrote:
> Wearing my upstream hat, testr is *still* intended to be used
> differently than OpenStack is doing. Running all the tests for all
> python versions at once in parallel is the sort of thing testr is
> aimed at, and thats fairly fundamentally incompatible with running
> from inside a venv. As is distributed testing across multiple
> machines. I haven't had time to help OpenStack mature its use of testr
> until recently, and fixing these issues that are and will have seems
> pretty important to me.

this is totally a peanut gallery comment, as I haven't carefully read
this whole thread, but doesn't this mean that the use of testr *and* tox
at the same time is fundamentally wrong?   Because tox's main purpose is
to facilitate running tests in multiple environments (though not
simultaneously / distributed).  If testr already does that, why are we
using tox?  (other than the IMO fairly obvious, "it's used ubiquitously,
is popular, and everyone knows how to use it" argument).