[openstack-dev] [testing] moving testrepository *outside* the tox venv

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Jul 10 23:35:16 UTC 2015

On 9 July 2015 at 10:52, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
> On 2015-07-09 10:37:17 +1200 (+1200), Robert Collins wrote:
>> So - I'm looking to:
>>
>> A) have a discussion and identify any issues with moving testr out of
>> the venvs. (Note: this doesn't mean stop using it, just removing it
>> from test-requirements.txt, in the same way that tox isn't in
>> test-requirements.txt).
>> B) Capture that in a spec if its non-trivial.
>> C) find volunteers to make it happen.
>
> D) keep reminding developers to install it on their systems when
> they ask why they can't run tests

We can make the os-testr which *is* installed in the venv look for
testr in the PATH and error with a good explanation when its not
there.

> E) keep reminding developers to upgrade to a newer version when they
> start running into bugs which aren't exhibited in our CI

We already have to do that (because we don't hard-require -U) - we
could easily enough cross-check the version of testr from os-testr too
and issue appropriate errors.

> I think the original decision to install it inside the tox
> virtualenv was because:
>
> 1. it made migrating from nose easier because we didn't have to add
> new steps in the basic workflow
>
> 2. it's one less thing developers need to know to install on their
> systems
>
> 3. it makes sure a new enough version is being used (matching the
> version used in our CI)
>
> I'm not arguing against the change, but think it's worth
> acknowledging the (perhaps marginal) ongoing costs of the solution
> and asking whether they're outweighed by the ongoing cost of working
> around the problem.

Certainly there are tradeoffs.

-Rob

--