[openstack-dev] [openstack][cinder]A discussion about quota update lower than current usage.

hao wang sxmatch1986 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 04:30:21 UTC 2015

Cinder now doesn't check the existing resource when user lower the quota.
It's reasonable for admin can adjust the quota limit to lower level than
current usage.
But it also bring confusion that I have received to end user, they saw the
current usage
was more than limit, but they can't create resources any more.

So there have been 'bug' reported[1] and code patch[2] committed, I knew it
may be
inappropriate as 'bug fix', but just want to optimize this API of updating
quota.

We are proposing to add an option argument which is named 'force' in
request body.
Of course the default value is True that means admin can adjust the quota
lower then
current usage as same as what we did now. When the force is False, that
will occur
a Validation and return 400 Bad Request if the update value is lower than
current usage.

I wonder to know folks' opinions and suggestions about this change to see
if this is value to merge this patch.

[1]https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1304234
[2]https://review.openstack.org/#/c/197938/

Thanks~