[openstack-dev] What's Up, Doc? 10 July 2015

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Jul 10 02:15:01 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies for my absence over the past couple of weeks. I
took some time off to spend with my daughter while she was on school
holidays, and then got ill! It never rains but it pours ;) While I was
out, our M release was named, and then unnamed, and we're now waiting
for a new name. We also had a great discussion about which networking
scenario is the best fit for our new-and-improved Installation Guide,
and planned a sprint to get the RST conversion for that book happening.
More on that in this newsletter.

== Progress towards Liberty ==

* RST conversion:
** Install Guide: Conversion is now underway, sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** Cloud Admin Guide: is nearly done. Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration
** HA Guide: is also underway. Get in touch with Meg or Matt:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/HA_Guide_Update
** Security Guide: In planning. Stand by for more info.

* User Guides information architecture overhaul
** Waiting on the RST conversion of the Cloud Admin Guide to be complete

* Greater focus on helping out devs with docs in their repo
** Work has started on the Ironic docs, we're now trying to resolve some
issues with service name standards ("Bare Metal" or "Bare metal"?).
Contact me if you want to know more, or are willing to help out.

* Improve how we communicate with and support our corporate contributors
** I have been brainstorming ideas with Foundation, watch this space!

* Improve communication with Docs Liaisons
** I'm very pleased to see liaisons getting more involved in our bugs
and reviews. Keep up the good work!

* Clearing out old bugs
** Sadly, no progress this week.

== RST Migration ==

The next books we are focusing on for RST conversion are the Install
Guide, Cloud Admin Guide, HA Guide, and the Security Guide. If you would
like to assist, please get in touch with the appropriate speciality team:

* Install Guide:
** Contact Karin Levenstein <karin.levenstein at rackspace.com>
** Sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Installation_Guide_Migration
** There's a sprint happening on this book later this month. Info and
sign up here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/VirtualSprints#Installation_guide_conversion_from_DocBook_to_RST

* Cloud Admin Guide:
** Contact Brian Moss <kallimachos at gmail.com> & Joseph Robinson
<joseph.r.email at gmail.com>
** Sign up to help out here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#Cloud_Admin_Guide_Migration

* HA Guide
** Contact Meg McRoberts <dreidellhasa at yahoo.com> or Matt Griffin
<me at mattgriffin.com>
** Blueprint:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/improve-ha-guide

* Security Guide
** Contact Nathaniel Dillon <nathaniel.dillon at hp.com>
** Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1463111
** Spec: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/196165/

For books that are now being converted, don't forget that any change you
make to the XML must also be made to the RST version until conversion is
complete. Our lovely team of cores will be keeping an eye out to make
sure loose changes to XML don't pass the gate, but try to help them out
by pointing out both patches in your reviews.

== Install Guide RST Conversion Sprint ==

In order to kick off the RST conversion of the Install Guide, the
speciality team have decided to run a virtual conversion sprint over two
days on July 22-24. For more information, see the
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/VirtualSprints#Installation_guide_conversion_from_DocBook_to_RST
wiki page, and the
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/installguide-rst-virtual-sprint etherpad.

== New core team ==

The core team have just completed our review for July, and would like to
welcome two new core contributors: Alexandra Settle, and Olena
Logvinova. Congratulations to you both :)

== Doc team meeting ==

The APAC meeting was cancelled this week, our next meetings are:

US: Wednesday 15 July, 14:00:00 UTC (note that this has NOT changed with
daylight savings time)
APAC: Wednesday 22 July, 00:30:00 UTC

Please go ahead and add any agenda items to the meeting page here:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/DocTeamMeeting#Agenda_for_next_meeting

== Spotlight bugs for this week ==

Sadly, even with an extra week, our three spotlight bugs remain unloved.
I'm going to keep them here for another week, so now is your chance to
swoop in and make a difference!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1212349 vmware
documentation

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1212687 xenapi

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+bug/1239308 Add
notifications for groups and roles

- --

Remember, if you have content you would like to add to this newsletter,
or you would like to be added to the distribution list, please email me
directly at openstack at lanabrindley.com, or visit:
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Documentation/WhatsUpDoc

Keep on doc'ing!

Lana