[openstack-dev] [horizon] [keystone] [docs] Two kinds of 'region' entity: finding better names for them

Douglas Fish drfish at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 9 22:47:59 UTC 2015

I think another important question is how to represent this to the user on
the login screen. "Keystone Endpoint:" matches the setting, but seems like
a weird choice to me. Is there a better terminology to use for the label
for this on the login screen?

I see the related selector has no label at all in the header. Maybe using
the same label there would be a good idea.

Doug

Thai Q Tran/Silicon Valley/IBM at IBMUS wrote on 07/08/2015 01:05:53 PM:

> From: Thai Q Tran/Silicon Valley/IBM at IBMUS
> Date: 07/09/2015 01:17 PM
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [horizon] [keystone] [docs] Two kinds
> of 'region' entity: finding better names for them
>
> Had the same issue when I worked on the context selection menu for
> switching domain and project. I think it make sense to rename it to
> AVAILABLE_KEYSTONE_ENDPOINTS. Since it is local_settings.py, its
> going to affect some folks (maybe even break) until they also update
> their setting, something that would have to be done manually.

Horizon
> > config has two Keystone endpoints inside AVAILABLE_REGIONS setting,
> > http://keystone.europe and http://keystone.asia, each of them hosting a
> > different catalog with service endpoint pointing to Europe/Asia located
> > services. For European Keystone all Europe-based services are marked as
> > 'RegionOne', for Asian Keystone all its Asia-based services are marked
> > as 'RegionOne'. Then, imagine that each Keystone also has 'RegionTwo'
> > region, for European Keystone the Asian services are marked so, for
> > Asian Keystone the opposite is true. One of customers did roughly the
> > same thing (with both Keystones using common LDAP backend), and
> > understanding what exactly in Horizon didn't work well was a puzzling
> > experience.
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 4:37 PM Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com
> > <mailto:jaypipes at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 07/08/2015 08:50 AM, Timur Sufiev wrote:
> >      > Hello, folks!
> >      >
> >      > Somehow it happened that we have 2 different kinds of regions:
the
> >      > service regions inside Keystone catalog and AVAILABLE_REGIONS
setting
> >      > inside Horizon, yet use the same name 'regions' for both of
them.
> >     That
> >      > creates a lot of confusion when solving some
region-relatedissues at
> >      > the Horizon/Keystone junction, even explaining what is exactly
being
> >      > broken poses a serious challenge when our common language has
> >     such a flaw!
> >      >
> >      > I propose to invent 2 distinct terms for these entities, so at
> >     least we
> >      > won't be terminologically challenged when fixing the related
bugs.

> >     Hi!
> >
> >     I understand what the Keystone region represents: a simple,
> >     non-geographically-connotated division of the entire OpenStack
> >     deployment.
> >
> >     Unfortunately, I don't know what the Horizon regions represent.
Could