[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] thinking additional tags

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 18:54:43 UTC 2015

On 08/07/15 18:12, Steve Baker wrote:
> On 09/07/15 04:39, Zane Bitter wrote:
>> On 08/07/15 09:03, Sean Dague wrote:
>>> Personally, I'm running out of steam on tags for this cycle, but Zane
>>> brought up a good point in the TC meeting yesterday, which was that "it
>>> would be nice to have tags for criteria that we used to use for
>>> integration requirements". I strongly agree with that perspective.
>>>
>>> A few ideas I was thinking about here from the areas that I poke at
>>> quite often. I'm doing this on the ML as a lighter weight discussion
>>> medium than gerrit as these are pretty raw brain droppings.
>>>
>>> Devstack:
>>>
>>>   * some tag that stated if it was in_devstack or has_devstack_plugin. I
>>> hesitate breaking those into 2, because it assumes value judgement that
>>> one is better than the other. However, has_devstack_plugin is useful
>>> information to know you need to add 1 line to your local.conf to enable
>>> that service.
>>>
>>> has_devstack_plugin has a very specific meaning that the project
>>> implements this interface -
>>> http://docs.openstack.org/developer/devstack/plugins.html
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Equivalents for Horizon & Heat were part of the 'First cycle
>> expectations' list, and I believe would be helpful too. I'd also like
>> to see one for python-openstackclient and another for the SDK. We
>> could do something similar for other projects that use plugins too,
>> like Mistral.
>>
>> Ceilometer integration was also on the 'First cycle expectations'
>> list, and would make a good tag. It also says "The lifecycle of
>> resources managed by the project should be externalized via
>> notifications so that they can be consumed by other integrated
>> projects", but I'm not sure what that means... I assume those are the
>> same notifications that Ceilometer reads? I guess it makes sense to
>> have two tags - one for notifications being sent and one for
>> Ceilometer knowing how to read them.
>>
>> Who would be responsible for applying these tags? How about it happens
>> by joint agreement of the project receiving the tag and the relevant
>> tag owner (e.g. Devstack for has_devstack_plugin), as represented by
>> their respective PTLs?
>>
> For devstack and these other projects Zane has mentioned it would be
> ideal to come up with a common convention for tags which designate that
> another project has implemented that capability. And there would be some
> value in distinguishing between in-tree and plugin support, since it has
> deployment implications.
>
> So as a starter, I'd like to suggest:
> devstack:in-tree
> devstack:plugin
> heat:in-tree
> heat:plugin
> horizon:in-tree
> horizon:plugin
> openstackclient:in-tree
> openstackclient:plugin
> ...etc

TBH I'd much rather get to a point where the distinction doesn't matter.
Preferably one where every plugin is treated equally - i.e. for any
given project, either all plugins are out-of-tree (I believe Horizon
have talked about going down this path) or all plugins are in-tree
(we've talked about doing this with Heat).

In the case of Heat for example, I think we'd only apply the tag to
projects with in-tree plugins and we'd encourage anybody with
out-of-tree plugins or appropriate /contrib plugins ('appropriate' here
meaning that they're driving APIs that are part of OpenStack) to get
them into the main tree so we could give them the tag.

cheers,
Zane.