[openstack-dev] Cinder as generic volume manager

Walter A. Boring IV walter.boring at hp.com
Thu Jul 9 18:44:57 UTC 2015

I missed this whole thread due to my mail filtering.  Sorry about that.

Anyway, Ivan and I have an open Blueprint here:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/cinder/+spec/use-cinder-without-nova

That starts the discussion of adding the end to end ability of attaching
a Cinder
volume to a host using the cinderclient in combination with os-brick.

The idea being, that cinderclient would coordinate the calling of
existing Cinder's APIs,
to do the attach/detach, along with os-brick, to collect the initiator
information needed,
as well as the volume discovery after the volume has been exported.

So, for example a user would simply use a new cinderclient shell command
to initiate
the attachment for an existing cinder volume.
cinder attach <volume uuid>

The client would then collect the initiator information, using os-brick,
and then make the correct Cinder API
calls to ensure the volume is exported.   Then, use os-brick again to
discover the volume showing up
on the host.

This is basically the same process that Nova does today, but uses
libvirt volume drivers to discover the volume
after being exported instead of os-brick.

We just haven't had time to write up the cinder-spec and start the work
on it.
Walt