[openstack-dev] [all][heat][oslo] Public show and validation clients methods

Sergey Kraynev skraynev at mirantis.com
Thu Jul 9 15:26:09 UTC 2015

Hi community.

I want to raise couple questions about openstack clients.
In Heat we use other python-*clients for manipulating service's resources,
but some stuff placed in shell.py modules and we are forced to duplicate
some existing code.

There are couple examples which I met last time:
 - getting resource by name or id

All clients implement this logic in the shell.py module and it's not
possible to re-use it from client
directly as single call of some function "resolve_by_name_or_id"
(unfortunately same is for Heat too ). As result all external developers
(and we too as orchestration tool) should copy logic in our repos and
implement similar resolve methods for all services/resources.

- show command for clients

some of clients use base Resource class and they have "._info" attribute,
but it's private and use it is not right too. But I did not see another
solution, because clients have not some *_show public method for it too
(except neutron :) ). Also there is additional issue, when clients use
their own classes, without this attribute, e.g. glance v2.

So my question: can we create mentioned above public methods for such stuff
and make it as standard for all clients or may be discuss list of common
public "interfaces" for all clients?

If it was raised early please point me, because this issue is really
painful, when you try to implement
common approach for all projects.

Regards,
Sergey.