[openstack-dev] [tc] [all] thinking additional tags

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Jul 9 10:21:08 UTC 2015

Sean Dague wrote:
> On 07/08/2015 12:51 PM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> Sean Dague wrote:
>>> Personally, I'm running out of steam on tags for this cycle, but Zane
>>> brought up a good point in the TC meeting yesterday, which was that "it
>>> would be nice to have tags for criteria that we used to use for
>>> integration requirements". I strongly agree with that perspective.
>>> [...]
>>
>> Thanks for bringing that up. As mentioned at the TC meeting yesterday I
>> plan to set up a small TC workgroup to aggressively look for missing
>> tags and define them. Russell already signed up, and as all TC
>> workgroups it can include non-TC members (it's actually a great way to
>> do succession planning at the TC).
>>
>> I'm still stuck on (re)defining the release tags to match the Liberty
>> release models, but I plan to start working on that soon after.
>>
>> Who is in?
>
> Happy to help. I think turning this into a WG probably spreads the load
> around a bit to prevent burnout.

The WG is also about:
* preparing tag submissions as a group rather than wait for an
individual to care enough to propose one
* pre-discussing issues at the WG level to remove load on the TC itself
* having a more coherent vision overall

The only reason we didn't do it before is that we already had a backlog
of urgent tags to push. I think we are almost past that now and can
spend more time designing the tag landscape.

Personally I want to push "stability" tags that would define 3 levels of
API/feature deprecation models for projects to commit to:

1- Will never ever deprecate an API or a feature ever, we are mature.
2- May remove APIs / features but will follow deprecation / removal N+2
rule, we are used in production but still developing.
3- May just remove anything anytime, we are very experimental.

This is not a judgment call, every project team is free to select which
model they commit to -- and I think it's VERY interesting information
for our users, which was completely hidden below the binary "integrated
release" (which had swift (1), nova (2) and ironic (3) at the same time).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)