[openstack-dev] [testing] moving testrepository *outside* the tox venv

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 06:34:13 UTC 2015

On 08/07/15 22:52 +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>On 2015-07-09 10:37:17 +1200 (+1200), Robert Collins wrote:
>> So - I'm looking to:
>>
>> A) have a discussion and identify any issues with moving testr out of
>> the venvs. (Note: this doesn't mean stop using it, just removing it
>> from test-requirements.txt, in the same way that tox isn't in
>> test-requirements.txt).
>> B) Capture that in a spec if its non-trivial.
>> C) find volunteers to make it happen.
>
>D) keep reminding developers to install it on their systems when
>they ask why they can't run tests
>
>E) keep reminding developers to upgrade to a newer version when they
>start running into bugs which aren't exhibited in our CI
>
>I think the original decision to install it inside the tox
>virtualenv was because:
>
>1. it made migrating from nose easier because we didn't have to add
>new steps in the basic workflow
>
>2. it's one less thing developers need to know to install on their
>systems
>
>3. it makes sure a new enough version is being used (matching the
>version used in our CI)
>
>I'm not arguing against the change, but think it's worth
>acknowledging the (perhaps marginal) ongoing costs of the solution
>and asking whether they're outweighed by the ongoing cost of working
>around the problem.

I'm not against the proposal in this thread but I'd like to throw another
option out there:

We could also make testr create the `.testrepository` dir in the venv
when running under tox. If this is currently not possible, it'd be a
matter of adding a CLI param to it that we can pass to make it create
the dir where we want.

`tox` has a `toxworkdir` option that you can set to specify the...
workdir :)

Cheers,
Flavio

--