[openstack-dev] Should project name be uppercase or lowercase?

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 12:59:57 UTC 2015

On 07/07/2015 10:36 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>     How do you think which should we use uppercase vs lowercase for
>     representing project names?
>

> I'll be patching the governance repo with some guidelines we have been
> using to make them official. The projects.yaml file is the reference
> point for the service catalog and documentation, and the doc team
> maintains a lookup list on the wiki page referenced above.
>
> Conventions for service names:
>
>   * Uppercase first letter of first word only.
>   * Do not use OpenStack in the name of the service.
>   * Use module if it is consuming other services (such as heat).

This may not be a great place to bring this up, but I don't really see
how consuming other services makes heat/ceilometer a module.

Most projects consume other services (they must use keystone at the
barest minimum, trove uses nova, glance uses swift, etc) which would
make darn near every service a module. It doesn't seem to be a valuable
distinction, and I know that within the heat team, we say "service".

Do operators, users, or developers find this distinction useful? Calling
everything [blank] service seems like it'd be more consistent.

--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.