[openstack-dev] OpenStack Meiji (明治) - Our next release name has been selected

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 8 08:34:56 UTC 2015

Michael Chapman wrote:
> I'd like to propose we just use numbers for versioning our software.
> Both random words and the year.cadence scheme are irritating in their
> own special way.

We do use numbers to version our software. OpenStack is made of a lot of
components and those need to be versioned independently.

We use names for our *development cycles*. Rather than say "the Q2-Q3
2015 cycle" we say "Liberty".

> Why not make it Openstack 13.0 and let the downstream distributions play
> in the minefield that is naming software projects.

Because there is no such thing as a version of "OpenStack". Each
component in OpenStack has its own version mapping to the end of the
development cycle.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)