[openstack-dev] Thoughts on ReleaseNoteImpact git commit message tag

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jul 7 16:13:07 UTC 2015

While reviewing a change in nova [1] I mentioned that we should have
something in the release notes for Liberty on the change.  Typically for
this I ask that the UpgradeImpact tag is added to the commit message
because at the end of a release I search git/gerrit for any commits that
have UpgradeImpact in them since the last major release (Kilo in this
case) and then we should see if those need mentioning in the release
notes upgrade impacts section for Nova (which they usually do).

The thing is, UpgradeImpact isn't always appropriate for the change, but
DocImpact is used too broadly and as far as I can tell, it's not really
for updating release notes [2].  It's for updating stuff found in
docs.openstack.org.

So we kicked around the idea of a ReleaseNoteImpact tag so that we can
search for those at the end of the release in addition to UpgradeImpact.

Are any other projects already doing something like this?  Or do we just
stick with UpgradeImpact?  Per the docs [3] it mentions release notes
but for configuration changes - which not everything in the release
notes for an upgrade impact requires a config change, some are
behavior/usage changes.  In this specific case in [1], it's actually
probably an APIImpact, albeit indirectly.

Anyway, just putting this out there to see how other projects are
handling tagging changes for inclusion in the release notes.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/189632/
[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/DocImpact
[3] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#peer-review

Matt Riedemann