[openstack-dev] [nova] Network issue with libvirt-xen driver, iptables race

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 13:45:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 03:02:54PM +0100, Anthony PERARD wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have an issue with the driver libvirt-xen. When a guest is started by
> Nova, nova-network is going to do some network setup and call
> iptables-{save,restore}, and the Xen toolstack is going to setup the
> vif of the guest, via a script, which also update the iptables.
>
> The Xen script is simply calling those commands:
>   ip link set dev ${dev} down
>   ip link set dev ${dev} address fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
>   ip address flush dev ${dev}
>   brctl addif ${bridge} ${dev}
>   ip link set dev ${dev} up
>   iptables -I FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged --physdev-in "$dev" -j ACCEPT
>   iptables -I FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged --physdev-out "$dev" -j ACCEPT
>
> $dev been by default vif$domid.$devid.
>
> Only the call to iptables is an issue and fail fairly often when it looses
> the race against iptables-{save,restore}.
>
> It is possible to have Nova asking to run a different script that would not
> call iptables. But that script would need to be store somewhere, in the
> nova repo would be best.
>
> Any though on that?
>
> Is `iptables` call necessary for the vif with OpenStack?
> If so, can nova-network do the update? Or the script called by the Xen
> toolstack could take an OpenStack lock before calling iptables?
>
> Bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1461642

IIRC, the iptables physdev matches are to deal with the fact that the
kernel default sends all bridge traffic via the net filter layer. This
is arguably a layering violation, because if you're bridging guests at
the network layer, you generally don't expect traffic to be filtered
at the IP layer. Some distros override this kernel default by setting
some sysctls:

 net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-ip6tables = 0
 net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables = 0
 net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-arptables = 0

At which point I think the iptables rules you quote should be
redundant.

In terms of locking, libvirt uses the '-w' flag when calling iptables
which prevents concurrent execution of iptables. I'm not sure whether
adding -w would be sufficient to deal with your particular case.
Regardless, any time nova invokes iptables, it should use -w

Regards,
Daniel