[openstack-dev] [all][packaging] Adding files to /etc in a package

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jul 1 11:33:03 UTC 2015

On 07/01/2015 04:08 AM, Tony Breeds wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 03:55:53AM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> Please don't do this. This is the kind of job to be done by package
>> maintainers in distribution, because mostly, Python maintainers wouldn't
>> know how to do things correctly. Here we've got a good example: the bash
>> completion scripts are now to be installed in
>> /usr/share/bash-completion/completions and not in /etc.
>>
>> As for the general project config files, I often install them in
>> /usr/share/<project>-common, and then copy the file in /etc/<project> in
>> a postinst, so that the file isn't marked as CONFFILE.
>>
>> So please don't attempt to do the work of distributions. We then end up
>> with config files in /usr/etc (as per what happen with Neutron
>> packages), and it's a mess to un-cruft.
>
> Okay so I take you point no problem, but I'm not running distro packages and I
> still want completions.  There must be a way to package the file to at least
> make it easier to achieve both our goals.
>
> Right now I have to manually wget the file from git.o.o which isn't really okay
> IMO.
>
> Could the python package make /usr/share/doc/python-novaclient/tools and ship
> it there.  That would mean that distribution packaging could just take that file
> and install it in the correct and usful location AND I could just symlink it
> and we both win.
>
> Yours Tony.

The file has nothing to do in /usr/share/doc either. By per the debian
policy manual: we shouldn't rely on /usr/share/doc, as it can be removed
entirely by the users. /usr/share/python-novaclient could be a place,
but really, the correct location is
/usr/share/bash-completion/completions, not /etc (btw: that's a new
thing, it used to be in /etc, but there's now a lintian warning about it).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)