[openstack-dev] [barbican] python-barbicanclient 3.0.2 released

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 23:33:54 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 2:17 AM, Alan Pevec <apevec at gmail.com> wrote:

> > That means clients need overlapping dependencies with the stable
> branches.
> > I don't think this is a reasonable requirement, and am not sure what we
> gain from it.
>
> Capping all Oslo and clients on stable/juno was reverted[1] due to
> issue with upgrades when you don't have overlap between master and
> previous release, has that been resolved?

Non overlapping dependencies has been resolved as in grenade supports them.

To quote Doug's commit message from the linked patch:

"Capping the requirements in the stable branch to a version lower than
the minimum used in master means we can't do rolling updates any more. We
should undo the caps and fix problems when we encounter them (either by
fixing the libraries or by capping with some overlap to allow updates)."

By repining stable/juno we are saying we cannot upgrade a service without
upgrading its python dependencies. If you are not using virtual
environments this means you cannot upgrade half the services on the box,
you must upgrade all or nothing.

As for the 'fix the problems when we encounter them part,' this turns out
to be a non-trivial burden on the development team (as opposed to the
stable-maint team), due to grenade and branchless tempest.

My understanding is this tradeoff has already been debated at one of the
summits, and the agreed upon path going forward was to pin stable branches,
just no one has done it yet.