[openstack-dev] Deprecation of in tree EC2 API in Nova for Kilo release

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Fri Jan 30 21:16:32 UTC 2015

As I've said a couple of times in the past, I think the
architecturally sound approach is to keep this inside Nova.

The two main reasons are:
 * Having multiple frontend API's keeps us honest in terms of
separation between the different layers in Nova.
 * Having the EC2 API inside Nova ensures the internal data model is
rich enough to "feed" the EC2 API. If some field's only use is to
enable the EC2 API and the EC2 API is a separate component, it's not
hard to imagine it being deprecated as well.

I fear that deprecation is a one way street and I would like to ask
one more chance to resucitate it in its current home.

I could be open to a discussion about putting it into a separate
repository, but having it functionally remain in its current place, if
that's somehow easier to swallow.

Soren Hansen             | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer         | http://www.ubuntu.com/
OpenStack Developer      | http://www.openstack.org/