[openstack-dev] [oslo.db] PyMySQL review

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 16:28:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015, Doug Hellmann wrote:

> My impression of this thread is that we're reaching consensus that we
> should move to PyMySQL, but that we want to make that move carefully
> because we expect issues due to the changes in performance and context
> switching behaviors. We've seen in the past that even slight changes in
> some timings expose race conditions, so while raw performance isn't
> critical the timing can be as tests run in the gate. Spending some time
> on a migration & test plan, and making sure that people are ready to
> help debug those sorts of issues, are good next steps.

If changing drivers is going to expose bugs and then lead to fixing
them, clearly we should be changing drivers frequently.

(Or to be less indirect: fragility in the face of timing changes is
a bug, let's look upon these things as positive opportunities to fix
things what lurk below.)

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent