[openstack-dev] [api][nova] Openstack HTTP error codes

Jay Faulkner jay at jvf.cc
Thu Jan 29 23:01:31 UTC 2015

On Jan 29, 2015, at 2:52 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com<mailto:blak111 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Oh, I understood it a little differently. I took "parsing of error messages here is not the way we’d like to solve this problem" as meaning that parsing them in their current ad-hoc, project-specific format is not the way we want to solve this (e.g. the way tempest does it). But if we had a structured way like the EC2 errors, it would be a much easier problem to solve.

So either way we are still parsing the body, the only difference is that the parser no longer has to understand how to parse Neutron errors vs. Nova errors. It just needs to parse the standard "OpenStack error" format that we come up with.

This would be especially helpful for things like haproxy or other load balancers, as you could then have them put up a static, openstack-formatted JSON error page for their own errors and trust the clients could parse them properly.

-Jay