[openstack-dev] [barbican] python-barbicanclient 3.0.2 released

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:31:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> So, honestly, yes.
>
> For a library to release safely it must:
>
> * have stable-compat jobs running (this was the issue with barbican client)
> * if it has a stable/juno branch it must be pinned in stable/juno (this
> was the issue on most of the oslo libs)

We use the clients for two very different things.

1. As a python library to communicate between services
2. A command line tool that can talk to all supported versions of our APIs
(stable/icehouse, stable/juno and master).

With our current testing setup, we try using the latest release on stable
branches for both 1. and 2.  That means clients need overlapping
dependencies with the stable branches.   I don't think this is a reasonable
requirement, and am not sure what we gain from it.

Instead I propose we pin the client version for 1 and use the latest
release for 2.  We should be able to do this easily by putting all command
line tools inside of venvs using pipsi[0]. This way we continue to test the
clients API compatibility with stable branches without requiring dependency
compatibility (I roped Dean Troyer into working on this at the nova mid
cycle).

Once this is done, we should be able to go ahead and pin all explicit
dependencies on stable branches [1].

[0] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pipsi/0.8
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/147451/