[openstack-dev] [oslo] Why are we continuing to add new namespaced oslo libs?

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Jan 29 16:24:17 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:03 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 01/24/2015 02:01 AM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 23, 2015, at 07:48 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've just noticed that oslo.log made it to global-requirements.txt 9
> >> days ago. How come are we still adding some name.spaced oslo libs?
> >> Wasn't the outcome of the discussion in Paris that we shouldn't do that
> >> anymore, and that we should be using oslo-log instead of oslo.log?
> >>
> >> Is three something that I am missing here?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Thomas Goirand (zigo)
> >
> > The naming is described in the spec:
> > http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/kilo/drop-namespace-packages.html
> >
> > tl;dr - We did it this way to make life easier for the packagers.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Well, you're not making the life of *package maintainers* more easy,
> that's in fact the opposite way, I'm afraid.
>
> The Debian policy is that Python module packages should be named after
> the import statement in a source file. Meaning that if we do:
>
> import oslo_db
>
> then the package should be called python-oslo-db. This means that I will
> have to rename all the Debian packages to remove the dot and put a dash
> instead. But by doing so, if OpenStack upstream is keeping the old
> naming convention, then all the requirements.txt will be "wrong" (by
> wrong, I mean from my perspective as a package maintainer), and the
> automated dependency calculation of dh_python2 will put package names
> with dots instead of dashes.
>
> So, what is going to happen, is that I'll have to, for each and every
> package, build a dictionary of translations in debian/pydist-overrides.

That's unfortunate, but you're the only packager who seems to have this
issue.

I've already spent 2 months more time working on this transition than I
planned, so I'm not planning to do anything else disruptive with it this
cycle. If it remains a problem, or some of the other packagers support
renaming the packages, we can discuss it at the L summit to be done
during the L cycle.

Doug