[openstack-dev] [neutron] high dhcp lease times in neutron deployments considered harmful (or not???)

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Wed Jan 28 17:36:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Salvatore Orlando <sorlando at nicira.com> wrote:
> The patch Kevin points out increased the lease to 24 hours (which I agree is
> as arbitrary as 2 minutes, 8 minutes, or 1 century) because it introduced
> use of DHCPRELEASE message in the agent, which is supported by dnsmasq (to
> the best of my knowledge) and is functionally similar to FORCERENEW.

My understanding was that the dhcp release mechanism in dnsmasq does
not actually unicast a FORCERENEW message to the client.  Does it?  I
thought it just released dnsmasq's record of the lease.  If I'm right,
this is a huge difference.  It is a big pain knowing that there are
many clients out there who may not renew their leases to get updated
dhcp options for hours and hours.  I don't think there is a reliable
way for the server to force renew to the client, is there?  Do clients
support the FORCERENEW unicast message?

Carl