[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [openstack-operators] [Keystone] flush expired tokens and moves deleted instance

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Jan 27 18:21:02 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Tim Bell's message of 2015-01-25 22:10:10 -0800:
> This is often mentioned as one of those items which catches every OpenStack cloud operator at some time. It's not clear to me that there could not be a scheduled job built into the system with a default frequency (configurable, ideally).
>
> If we are all configuring this as a cron job, is there a reason that it could not be built into the code ?

It has come up before.

The main reason not to build it into the code as it's even better to
just _never store tokens_:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/non-persistent-tokens
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/keystone-specs/plain/specs/juno/non-persistent-tokens.rst

or just use certs:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/keystone-tokenless-authz-with-x509-ssl-client-cert

The general thought is that putting lots of things in the database that
don't need to be stored anywhere is a bad idea. The need for the cron
job is just a symptom of that bug.