[openstack-dev] [tc] do we really need project tags in the governance repository?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jan 26 17:02:42 UTC 2015

Doug Hellmann wrote:
> [...]
> So, my proposal is that we re-evaluate our decision to introduce a tagging system and complicated taxonomy to the *governance* repository, and think about whether the same information can either be found elsewhere already or *should live elsewhere* and needs to be developed there. We can keep the integrated release tag that we have in place now, but we should not adopt any other tags and we should phase out the tag system when we drop the integrated release tag.

I agree that tag application/removal could be more distributed. The
original draft for the spec explicitly proposed that the TC delegates
(some) tag application to other groups, but in those discussions you
were the one resisting the idea and requiring that the TC retained clear
oversight :)

I'm open to alternative suggestions on where the list of tags, their
definition and the list projects they apply to should live. If you don't
like that being in the governance repository, what would have your
preference ?

That said, I object to only saying "this is all information that can be
found elsewhere or should live elsewhere", because that is just keeping
the current situation -- where that information exists somewhere but
can't be efficiently found by our downstream consumers. We need a
taxonomy and clear definitions for tags, so that our users can easily
find, understand and navigate such project metadata.

The tagging proposal (only one-month old) has so far received a pretty
good reception from operators and other downstream users, who see it as
a way to explain and contribute what type of information matters to
them. The Technical Committee members are not the only people who can
propose tags.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)